Nobleton United Church

Nobleton United Church…..Our History…..1845 - present


1845    The first church in the Nobleton area was a Wesleyan Methodist, which was built in 1845, atop the hill, adjacent to the old cemetery, on the north side of King Road about a half mile west of Hwy 27. This site later became the original pipe style water tower which was later removed. The church was thus referred to as “The Church on the Hill”. The original pioneer Methodist congregation consisted of two small congregations which later merged with the Wesleyan Methodist in 1874 and 1884, to form one main congregation.

1896    The Church on the Hill was taken down and much of the material was used to construct a new Methodist Church later to become the United Church, on its present site. The original land consisted of a ¼ acre parcel purchased from Mrs. James Adams, the widow of the late Rev. James Adams. In later years land was donated to the church, for expansion of a septic system, by Thomas Chapman. The construction of the present church has been done in several phases. The excavation of the original basement and erection of the main part of the church was completed by “bees”, dug by hand with much labour donated by members of the congregation. The cornerstone laying took place on May 25, 1896, with Rev. R. Large, of King City, giving the address. The opening dedication took place on October 18, 1896, with Rev. C. T. Cocking as the minister.

1925    The Methodist Church became the Nobleton United Church, part of a three point charge consisting of Kleinburg, Central and Nobleton.

1927    Electricity was installed.

1929    Choir loft altered and inside stairs to choir loft from basement.

1940    New Espy organ was purchased.

1944    The two narrow stairways from the vestibule were removed and one wider central stairway and doors were installed.

1945    The horse sheds were dismantled.

1969    Addition to the main building, including new kitchen, furnace, upstairs meeting room and washrooms.

1972    New organ purchased.

1975    New front doors and a carving of the United Church crest installed above the front door.

1983    Two stained glass windows installed which had been removed from Laskay United Church and donated to ours.

1983    Parking lot constructed.

1990    Addition to rear of Church building, comprising of a new meeting room, office space, improved washrooms, extensive renovations to the kitchen. A great deal of the work on this addition was done by volunteers from the congregation.

1995    Dedication of the renovated Sunday School Room.

1996    Celebration of 100th anniversary of the present church building.

1997    Installation of Stained Glass – In memory of those who shared sacred music with us.

1998    Installation of Stained Glass – In memory of the quilters.

1999    Purchase and dedication of Voices United.

1999    A new Casio piano purchased.

2000    Established June’s Garden.

2001    Air Conditioning installed.

2004    Accessibility lifts installed.

2009    Renovations to the Sanctuary and pews and new carpet installed, original stained glass windows removed in 1997/98 are converted to wall mountings. Most of the labour donated by members of the Immanuel Reformed Church and Nobleton United Church congregations.

2011    Digital projector and screen installed.

2014    Accessibility ramp and railings installed. Accessibility bathrooms installed on upper and lower levels. Wheel chairs purchased for upper and lower levels.

2015    Major renovations to kitchen and lower level floors.



Ministers Since 1896

The Reverend            C.T. Cocking

                                   Reuben Toye

                                   George Washington

                                   W. Cannon

                                    H.A. Fish

                                    W.H. Thompson

                                    T.R. White

                                    W.H. Learoyd

                                    J.W. Arnott

                                    A.F. Bamford          1924 – 29

                                    S.J.T. Fortner         1929 – 37

                                    C.J. Bailey              1937 – 45

                                    W.A. Westcott        1945 – 52

                                    R.W. French           1952 – 62

                                    J.C. McLean           1962 – 66

                                    Wm. F. Reid            1966 – 71

                                    A.Hamilton              1971 – 79

                                    D. Walker                1979 - 90

                                    Mr, P. Neary             1900 - 91 (Interim Student Supply)

                                    E. Hughes                1991 - 98

                                    T. Dayfoot                1998 - 2008

                                    B. Nicholson DLM     2008 - present   

Home Page